Zippity Doo Dah 2015
Fondren’s biggest weekend of the year – five years running – returns, beginning with the Friday Big Hat Brunch, Friday night street dance featuring The Bluz Boys on Duling Avenue and the arrival of the World-Famous Budweiser Clydesdales, the Sal & Mookie’s Street Carnival and culminating with a Saturday nighttime BancorpSouth Zippity Doo Dah Parade featuring the Jackson State University Sonic Boom and the World Famous Sweet Potato Queens®, all benefiting Friends of Children’s Hospital at Blair Batson Hospital For Children.
Also: The Patty Peck Honda Doo Dah Day Blue Car Giveaway (learn more & buy tickets here).
Friday, March 27
• SPQ® Big Hat Brunch presented by Sal & Mookie’s – Buffet style brunch with house favorites. Awards given by area judges for best hat and best hat group. This is people watching at its best! – 11:00am. $21 advance or $26 at door – firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Bluz Boys in Concert presented by First Commercial Bank, Ergon and UMMC – Electrifying rhythm & blues and sixties sweet soul music from the South’s Premier Show Band! Located in the middle of Duling Avenue on the Cirlot stage, this concert/dance party in the streets is free – 6:30pm to 9:30pm. Lawn chairs welcome, no coolers, please.
• The World-Famous Budweiser Clydesdales presented by Southern Beverage Company – the arrival of the majestic horse drawn hitch, in Fondren for a third time in five years! – 6pm-7pm. Duling Avenue.
Saturday, March 28
• Sal & Mookie’s Street Carnival – On the stadium green presented by Sal & Mookie’s. Annual event with all types of carnival fun, from games to a dunking booth and The Parents & Kids Magazine Fantasy Photo Booth ($5) to pizza and ice cream eating contests, this is good old-fashioned fun for the whole family – 10:00am-2:00pm – $2 arm band charge – some items extra.
• Fondren Jump Zone – located on Duling Green at the corner of Old Canton and Duling, these bounce house jumps will delight the kids while waiting on the parade to begin. This fun zone will delight the youngest of ages while adults secure their spots for parade watching. Free – 4:30pm to 6:30pm.
• Patty Peck Doo Dah Day Blue Car Giveaway – One lucky key holder of ten drawn in the weeks prior to the ZDD Weekend will win a 2015 Honda Civic! – at BancorpSouth, 6pm.
• Braveheart Honorary Flyover – Saluting our Bravehearts – service men and women, first responders, doctors and others who put the lives of others above their own – 6:40pm.
• BancorpSouth Zippity Doo Dah® Parade – Through the streets of Fondren. This year’s parade theme is “Bravehearts for Batson,” featuring grand marshal, Braveheart director and screenwriter, Randall Wallace, and celebrating the 20 year anniversary of Wallace’s movie. Enjoy the Murrah High School Band and, the JSU Sonic Boom, presented by Richard Schwartz & Associates. From trinkets to beads, golf cart floats and antique cars to Jill Conner Browne, THE Sweet Potato Queen and the Queen’s float. Starts at dusk (about 6:45pm). Free.
• ardenland presents the post parade show featuring Della Mae – Americana reminiscent of Avett Brothers, Punch Brothers, the Lumineers, and Hurray for the Riff Raff – Duling Hall. Doors 8:00pm / Show 9:00pm. $5 advance/$10 at door.