June’s Neighborhood News
Welcome to your monthly look at what’s been happening and what’s upcoming in the neighborhood. It is our hope that this email will serve as a jumping off point for you to engage with us if you have questions or wish to help support the work we do on behalf of the neighborhood everyday.
Stop by our office at Fondren Corner (2906 North State Street, Suite 101 – just down from Basil’s) on Tuesday, June 21 from 5-6:30pm for our monthly “happy hour.”Enjoy complimentary wine, beer and snacks and take the opportunity to speak with us about upcoming projects and developments in the neighborhood, including the State Street Corridor Improvement Project and the upcoming “sidewalk” enhancement grant.
We hope to have representatives of both The Fondren Hotel and The Whitney Place hotel there if you have any questions to ask of them about their plans as well.
The 2nd annual Mississippi Craft Beer Festival is this Friday on the grounds of Duling Hall. Over 100 beers will be presented for sampling by two dozen breweries. Save $5 on tickets when your purchase them today (purchase tickets here). Don’t wait until Friday. We WILL sell out!
Businesses: Are you on the Map?
The business committee of FRF is compiling a map and business directory that will be printed soon. If you haven’t been contacted but want to be a part of this, please let our special projects director, Angie Noble know.
* BancorpSouth construction at State and Old Canton (read more)
* The Meridian construction on Lakeland Drive (now preleasing)
* UMMC construction (read more)
* St. Andrews Early Childhood Education Center (read more)
* Venyu (construction will resume in October after a scheduled hiatus to complete another project).
* Taylor-Downing-Oxford Court (read more)
There’s an App For That
Special thanks to TEC for sponsoring the Fondren Renaissance smart phone app and opt-in text alerts, coming soon! We hope this allows us to keep you better informed in real-time about upcoming construction projects that affect traffic in the neighborhood.
* 5th Annual Cedars Juried Art Show – September 1 at The Cedars
* In partnership with FRF, Lemuria and St. Andrew’s Episcopal School, author Sarah Maas will host a signing at The Cedars on September 8.
* Symphony at Sunset, September 15 – The Cedars – honoring Claudia and Robert Hauberg