August Neighborhood News
Welcome to your monthly look at what’s been happening and what’s upcoming in the neighborhood. It is our hope that this email will serve as a jumping off point for you to engage with us if you have questions or wish to help support the work we do on behalf of the neighborhood everyday.
The work of FRF is vital to the continued success of our city and surrounding area. From development to zoning to community-wide events enjoyed by many, we ask that you join our efforts by making a donation to this year’s FRF Annual Fund. This allows us to maintain and broaden our current momentum by investing in the programming, services and events that our organization provides.
Millsaps Day in Fondren
Fondren welcomes Millsaps students, faculty, alumni and friends for the fifth annual Millsaps Day in Fondren on Saturday, August 20 from 11am-2pm. Many Fondren businesses will offer discounts for those students, employees and alumni. The event is a joint endeavor for Millsaps College and Fondren Renaissance.
5th Annual Cedars Juried Art Show
Over 120 artists have sent in entries for our 5th annual show (selected artists will be announced Tuesday morning at fondren.org). Entries will be considered by the art committee of Butler Snow and up for adjudication by sculptor and Mississippi professor Dr. Samuel M. Gore. Butler Snow and Jan and Lawrence Farrington sponsor the opening reception on September 1, 5-8pm, at The Cedars.
Symphony at Sunset
Thursday, September 15 at 7pm brings an evening featuring the talents of the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra under the canopy of tress on the historic Cedars lawn. This year’s 16th annual event, themed, “Crafting Our Mission,” honors Robert and Claudia Hauberg and caps off a year-long celebration of The Cedars’ 175th anniversary * Free * Bring a picnic and chairs. Corporate sponsorship opportunities are available here.
* In partnership with FRF, Lemuria and St. Andrew’s Episcopal School, author Sarah Maas will host a signing at The Cedars on September 8. Tickets are available here.
* heARTworks art show – September 29
* PORTICO’s Artists Rising Show – October 11
* The Four Seasons of The Cedars Visual and Performing Arts Series presents “Fall” on October 13 at The Cedars, opening that evening at 5pm. Artists Pryor Buford Lampton, Buttons Marchetti and Key Neville Whitehead and ceramic angels by Susan Clark will exhibit.
* FRF’s first-ever Ornament Auction is set for November 10, 6-8pm. Special one-of-a-kind pieces will be donated by area artists for silent auction (a buy-it-now option will be available). No ticket is needed and a cash bar will be available.
Wier Boerner Allin, celebrating seven years with a move to their new office at 2727 Old Canton Road | Donna Downing, who just purchased Amanda’s Pet Salon at 419 Mitchell Avenue | Josh and Stephanie Gilmer, who opened The Pet Shop this summer at 2947 Old Canton Road | Embody Wellness, who has opened at 4120 North State Street | Kolb’s Cleaners, who has moved to 2800 North State Street.
* Greater Belhaven Neighborhood Foundation presents Bright Lights Belhaven Nights in and around Belhaven Park at Poplar Street. Get more info here (and purchase advanced tickets – save $5)!