06 Mar 2017
A large portion of Jackson will be without water next weekend while crews work to repair breaks in a large water main, city officials said Monday.
01 Mar 2017
It’s time for the 2nd Annual Fondren Flea and we need you to be a part! Last year’s event was such a big hit, we know that this year will be even be bigger and better!
This year’s “Flea” will be held on Saturday, March 25 and once again, we’re dubbing it “Mississippi’s largest outdoor sale”. As an added bonus, Sal & Mookie’s Street Carnival will also be happening the same morning so that means added traffic and families heading into the area to take advantage of all that Fondren has to offer!
20 Feb 2017
We’ve made some changes to the weekend normally reserved for Fondren’s Zippity Doo Dah® Festival and want you to save the date!
- The Band U.S will perform at Duling Hall on Friday, March 24 at 9pm. Presented by Ardenland, this high energy group has an elaborate stage and lighting setup and a set list to match! Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the door at ardenland.net.
- Back by popular demand will be the Fondren Flea, billed as the state’s largest flea market/garage sale. Area home owners and businesses will join together early Saturday morning to the delight of shoppers and bargain hunters from all across the state.
- The annual Sal & Mookie’s Street Carnival, open to all ages, will include games, prizes and activities. From a jump zone and cookie walk to a dunking booth and eating contests, the carnival is located on the UMMC Green and admission is $2 per child.
08 Feb 2017
Fondren’s First Thursday, the monthly neighborhood street party held in Historic Downtown Fondren, will return on March 2, 2017 – with a twist.
Event organizer Ron Chane says a new system of alternating presenters each month will expand the depth of creativity of the two year-old event.
Included in this year’s FFT slate are three State Street Concert Series events presented by Sneaky Beans and Rooster’s, showcasing a headlining main stage act; the return of Fondren Renaissance’s Arts, Eats & Beats, a 15 year-old Fondren tradition; a special art-focused night helmed by the Mississippi Museum of Art; and FRF’s Fondren Unwrapped, on a new date, December 7. Three FFT “Throwbacks,” presented by Studio Chane, round out the year and will follow a structure similar to past year’s first Thursday events. Two of these, June and September, will offer vendors opportunities.
“This event has taken two years to reach its creative maturity,” says Chane, who will continue to guide and support the full roster of events for 2017. “This is still a positive night of people enjoying people, seeing our neighborhood from different perspectives. There will be an ebb and flow with much more variety. In short, something for everyone.”
The events for 2017 are:
• March 2 – State Street Concert Series presented by Rooster’s and Sneaky Beans
• April 6 – Fondren’s First Thursday Throwback presented by Studio Chane
• May 4 – Arts, Eats & Beats presented by Fondren Renaissance
• June 1 – Fondren’s First Thursday Throwback presented by Studio Chane
• July 6 – State Street Concert Series presented by Rooster’s and Sneaky Beans
• August 3 – End of Summer
• September 7 – Fondren’s First Thursday Throwback presented by Studio Chane
• October 5 – State Street Concert Series presented by Rooster’s and Sneaky Beans
• November 2 – Art Night presented by Mississippi Museum of Art
• December 7 – Fondren Renaissance’s Fondren Unwrapped presented by Bank Plus
18 Jan 2017
We’re pleased to announce the first installment of our 2017 Four Seasons of The Cedars Visual and Performing Arts Series.
“Winter” features recent works by Ellen Langford and Scott Cook and glass art by Elizabeth Robinson.
The exhibit hangs through March 3, 2017, Tuesday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
A portion of all of the proceeds from sales of artists’ work goes to the continuing maintenance and restoration efforts of The Cedars, Jackson’s oldest residential home circa 1840, which celebrated 175 years in 2016.
The Cedars is located at 4145 Old Canton Road.
03 Nov 2016
Join us on November 10 for our first-ever Holiday Ornament Auction!
Artists will donate one-of-a-kind ornaments for silent auction in this first-ever FRF event, inspired by a similar event hosted each year by Oxford’s Yoknapatawpha Arts Council.
Spirit House Glass’ Elizabeth Robinson will be the featured artist with nearly 125 other local and regional artists participating.
03 Nov 2016
Have you downloaded our smartphone app?
Go to the app store for Apple or Android and search “Fondren” – look for the red “F” – and download for links to our events and events around the neighborhood, a look at our programs and mission and a chance to give to support our ongoing work.
Make sure you enable push notifications – We’ll use this feature from time to time to send you important information, right to your phone’s home screen.
21 Oct 2016
Here is a look at what’s going on this October…
“Fall,” our latest installment of the Four Seasons of The Cedars Visual and Performing Arts Series, is on display through October 28 at The Cedars. Featuring paintings by Pryor Buford Lampton, Buttons Marchetti and Key Neville Whitehead and ceramicist Susan Clark’s collegiate and holiday angels. Tuesday-Friday from 10am-4pm. Free.
Movie night at Fondren Park * this Saturday, Oct. 22 * 6pm
OurFondren Neighborhood Association will be showing Wes Anderson’s “The Fantastic Mr. Fox” just after sundown. Bring your kids, bring a picnic and bring friends. They will also be serving complimentary hot dogs, baked beans, chips and beverages. Come around 6 when the festivities begin and the movie will start shortly after sundown.
We are pleased to announce the fall edition of the Four Seasons of The Cedars Visual and Performing Arts Series at The Cedars, simply entitled “Fall.” The exhibit hangs through October 28, Tuesday – Friday, 10am – 4pm at The Cedars.
23 Sep 2016
Here is a look at a handful of events coming your way in the next seven days…
5th Annual Cedars Juried Show * ends Friday Featuring works from artists across Mississippi, the selection of 73 accepted works by 65 accepted artists, representing 20 different Mississippi cities. The exhibit is open this Friday, September 23, 10am-4pm, at The Cedars. Free.
Fondren Appreciation Picnic * Saturday, Sep. 24 * 1-3:30pm
Come celebrate those who protect and serve the city of Jackson and city of Jackson workers who work so hard each day with a picnic at Fondren Park. Presented by OurFondren Neighborhood Association, Fondren Renaissance and Find It In Fondren.
Prayers for Lisa Benefit * Saturday, Sep. 24 * 5pm
A friend of the community and server in many local restaurants, most recently Walker’s, Lisa Barnhill is in need of a lung transplant and Brown’s Fine Art & Framing is hosting a benefit.
heARTworks * September 29 * 5pm
The show allows HeARTWorks to exhibit and sell all the wonderful art to the public. Eighty percent of the proceeds will go to the artists and twenty percent will go to Stewpot. The show will be held at The Cedars and is free.
Brent’s 70th Birthday Bash * Thursday, Sep. 29 * 5-10pm
Join Brent’s for a birthday bash featuring live music, face painting, specialty shakes, birthday cake from Campbell’s and a whole lot of community.
Raise Your Glass in Honor of St. James’ School * Thursday, Sep. 29 * 5:30pm
Enjoy a night of wine, music and silent auction with tastings by Babalu Tapas and Tacos, Deep South Pops, Lou’s Full Serve, Parlor Market, Saltine Oyster Bar and The Manship, a fundraiser for St. James’ School at St. James’ Episcopal Church. Ticketed event
Michael Rubenstein Kidney Walk * Saturday, October 1 * 9am
This annual event presented by the Mississippi Kidney Foundation at their office at 3000 Old Canton Road is a non-competitive walk focusing on the education and prevention of kidney disease, as well as organ donor awareness.
Save the Date
* “Fall,” featuring paintings by Pryor Buford Lampton, Buttons Marchetti and Key Neville Whitehead and ceramic angels by Susan Clark, opening October 13 at The Cedars.
* Inaugural Ornament Auction where local artists will donate one-of-a-kind ornaments for silent auction, November 13 at The Cedars.
* Fondren Unwrapped, our annual holiday open house, November 17 in the downtown Fondren historic district
You may have heard by now that the Federal Transportation Enhancement Grant project, set to finally begin work this fall, is facing some snags after three bids came in higher than budgeted. We are working with the city and project engineers Neel Schaffer to keep this work moving along. Look for an upcoming announcement about the beginning of this exciting project!